Friday, March 25, 2011

Children's Songs and Children



My Runyankole progress is not good. I have not been a disciplined student and aside from greetings and simple shop transactions my conversational skills remained challenged. Last week I asked my Runyankole tutor to teach me songs. It turns out that all the Ugandan popular songs on the radio are in Luganda- so not a go. He has come up with two varieties- children’s songs and religious songs (or a combination of the two). So I will share my progress:


Itwe abaana abaato
Kuritulikura
Tudyabo bohango
Kandi balingwa

(When we small children/ grow up/ we will become big/ and strong!- You can march to this one.) And:

Yesu nakund’ abaato, abaato, abaato,
Yesu nakund’ abaato, abaato n’kitwe!

(This is sung to the tune of “Merrily We Roll Along” and means Jesus loves small children…..like us!)

The photos are of the lovely babies of two coworkers.

1 comment: