Saturday, July 31, 2010

sounds of Mbarara

For those with an aural orientation: Light starts about 6:45 am and at 7am the roosters crow, goats bleat, the sound of tasks begin. Every morning there is brushing of the grounds for fallen leaves and dust, clanking of heavy metal doors,grates, and gates. It's Sunday morning so about 8, chanting, singing and clapping from the King of Kings church 300 yards away begins and continues on and off through Sunday. There is usually pounding of metal somewhere. Boda-bodas and cars occasionally pass on my narrow dirt road. Voices from passersby and nearby houses increase over the morning. When the wind blows, the palm and banana fronds click against each other, a rustle which I've mistaken for rain. Throughout the day and evening there is loud cawing from Maribou Storks (birds taller than small children which fly overhead, convene on a nearby sports field, and perch on an electric pole near my balcony). Other bird songs and chirps are present much of the time. At night, voices and songs from the radio and guest house TV (the one station is heavy on music videos) subside at about 11pm. Intermittent choruses of barking dogs continue through the night-not intrusive but making me glad I'm not out on the very dark roads.

Hope (and anyone else!) please email me(lindarpowers@gmail.com)- I'd like to respond to your posts.

1 comment: