Friday, August 6, 2010

First week in the village





I've spent my first days in the village of Ruhiira and liked it! (most of it- bathroom facilities take a bit of getting use to). It takes 45 to 60 minutes to travel from Mbarara to Ruhiira, so living in Ruhiira increases considerably the time available to be in the health centers. All my technology failed me this week so no working phone or internet and, at baseline, no electricity or running water. Water was delivered in jerry cans, though, and there was enough for washing (a very good thing since dust coats everything this time of year).

I spent most of the week in the Ruhiira Health Center (there are 5 others in project and I visited two others this week- In the next few weeks I'll be visiting each for 1-3 days to do a baseline assessment of the resources and clinical care). I observed births, watched patients evaluated and treated (in a 2 hour period, the clinician saw 16 patients and diagnosed (confirmed by testing) seven cases of malaria- everyone laughs when I tell them that I've treated 2 patients with malaria in 26 years of practice),and attended meetings with midwives, doctors, and community health workers where MANY challenges and many ideas were discussed. The photos are of the Ruhiira health center, preparations for my morning bath, our pantry (with 2 types of bananas) and the cooking area.

3 comments:

  1. You think Matt can start seeing 16 patients in 2 hours?!! LOL........Rhonda K/PCC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having hard time making comments here. Very slow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Working better today.

    You better not get spoiled by all the high living over there because you do have to come back to live in Boston someday. Showers, electricity, water, transportation, etc. It's terrible.

    ReplyDelete